- OpenCPN User Manual
Use a dedicated Linux Marine Distribution
Xinutop-nav is a Linux portable or installed marine OS, including a lightweight base applications from Xfce family, and provide, with less of 400Mo, essential marine applications such as:
- OpenCPN: naturally !
- Fldigi: reception and display radio weather-fax and NAVTEX, via the sound card.
- Polarcom: virtual instrumentation, from NMEA datas.
- XTide: tides with numerical and graphical display, worlwide coverage.
- Zygrib: download and display weather grib files.
- Muplex: NMEA multiplexer.
- OSD Depth: display water depth with big digits above any application (aka "on top").
Xinutop is made with a special care of lightness, simplicity, efficacy, reliability and can operate from multiple datas supports (HDD, SSD, USB, Flash) on a great variety of i386 compatible computers, specially with low power processors, or those unfairly considered as obsolete, poorly supporting the growing greed of currents OS, less and less compatible with embedded hardware. Xinutop can run as a portable operating system on removable device, but also as a main operating system on hard drive (same install). The memory usage after startup is about 100MB. To make Xinutop unbreakable (may I say "unbrickable" - used term for deads tablets - or almost ?), the necessary system files and directories are locked and can't be deleted or modified by a normal way (even in root mode).
Xinutop is assembled with Ubuntu 12.04 packages (Precise), including the scripts "lrd" by Gauvain Pocentek and provide:
- A robust architecture: main file system in squashfs, no write access.
- A fast boot provided by lrd scripts, more simple than casper, the default live system for Debian-Ubuntu
- A persistent mode that allows to keep the datas and system changes in user layer (as Linux-Android system).
- A restore mode, allowing to findnize exactly the original system (simply by deleting the user layer).
- A "home-save" function, to automatically save and move user home datas during a restoration.
- A ramdisk mode, which boost time access, running Xinutop from a virtual harddisk emulated in memory.
- The full compatibility with applications of the Ubuntu distribution. You can install and run any other application from your user layer
Xinutop is under GPL V3, then you are free to use, distribute and modify it, but at your own risk and under your own responsability !
Infos and download at http://marinux.tuxfamily.org